If grilled Portobello and Cauliflower tacos are wrong, we don't want to be right
... because when its Tuesday, its a must and we simply cant get enough of these!
REBOOT WITH MUSHROOMS
Mushrooms have a wonderful savory and umami flavor, are easy to cook, healthful, flavorful, and a cost-effective way to enjoy more plant-based foods. Besides being packed with nutrients, there's evidence to suggest that mushrooms may possess disease-fighting abilities. Plus, eating less meat in favor of mushrooms leads to less consumption of fat, calories, cholesterol and a higher intake of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals! Also, surprisingly, plain white mushrooms - the cheapest and most widely available are among the most antioxidant rich.
- Mushrooms have been shown to up-regulate IgA antibody secretion, which studies show suppresses breast cancer.
- Mushrooms contain compounds called beta glucans, which may boost immune function.
- Sun-dried or U-irradiated mushrooms also contain Vit D2, the same type of vitamin D doctors usually prescribe for deficiency.
- The amino acid L-ergothioneine, another rare compound, shown to protect cells against oxidative stress is present in mushrooms!
portobello cauliflower taco's
By: Dietitian Taylor Johnson, RD, LDN
Recipe type: Main dish
Serves: 6 tacos
Try these flavor packed portobello cauliflower tacos for you next meatless Monday!
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Slice portobello mushrooms and chopped cauliflower. Place in a bowl and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar. Add chili powder, smoked paprika, minced garlic, sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Use your hands to coat mushrooms and cauliflower on all sides. Add portobello mushrooms and cauliflower to a grill or grill pan over med-high heat until char grilled marked form, about 4 mins per side. Once mushrooms and cauliflower are done, set aside. Add chopped yellow onion and orange bell pepper to grill pan and sauté until onion opaque, about 5 minutes. Assemble tacos with grilled corn tortillas, grilled mushroom/cauliflower, onion, peppers, sliced avocado, sliced red cabbage and top with microgreens, cilantro and lime wedges. Reboot and Enjoy!
- 2 portobello mushroom tops, sliced
- 2 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 6 GF Yellow Corn Tortillas, grilled
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, julienned
- Purple cabbage, sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 2 tbsp. Ohsawa organic low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Dash chili powder
- Dash smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
- Microgreens or cilantro
- Lime wedges
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
If you make this recipe, we would love to see it! Tag us in your photo @rootsreboot with #RootsReboot or #RebootAndTurnip to our INSTAGRAM HERE!
XO - Roots Reboot
P.S. Need to Recharge, refocus or Reset your health?
Reboot with your personal Dietitian for real results and nutrition coaching! Work with us 1-1 for a personalized health plan with hourly support from yours truly! LEARN MORE HERE!